Experienced full stack Ruby on Rails
We are currently expanding our Ruby on Rails team and we are looking for an experienced web developer to join us and work on an international project. You do not need prior Ruby experience to join our team, just experience using an MVC framework and a desire to learn.
At Secret Source we have a fun, collaborative team where you’ll have lots of opportunities for growth. If you have strong communication skills, love working in a team and are passionate about what you do, this job is for you.
What will you be doing?
The candidate will be working on a large Ruby on Rails system used by local governments in the UK and the U.S. Typical tasks include:
- Developing new pieces of functionality
- Investigating and fixing issues reported by users
- Contributing to code reviews
- Writing automated tests for new or existing functionality
- Taking part in team meetings
- Suggesting ways for the team to work more effectively
- Working with other team members to refactor code to simplify and improve the maintainability of parts of the system
- Helping to improve our deployment pipeline and development environment
- Reviewing operational data such as exception notifications and logs to understand potential issues.
You’ll be working in a team of three guided by our excellent senior developer.
Why work with Secret Source?
We believe that happy developers write the best code so we are focused on creating the best environment for our developers to thrive and be the best they can be. So if you’re still not convinced we have some great benefits:
- Remote work opportunities (choose to work from home or from our spacious office) Please note: this is not a fully remote position we will require you to come into the office occasionally.
- Paid weekly training time – every week you are given time to train, we will also pay for any courses you want to take
- 1:1 mentoring and continual professional development
- A spacious, custom built office with outside terraces, kitchen and multiple chillout areas – check out the photos on the-house.eu
- Extra day holiday on your birthday
- Flexitime – We have a flexible working timetable that can work around your personal schedule. Some people like starting early, some prefer working late, some like to spend time with their kids in the afternoon, we’ll adapt to your needs.
- Free coffee / tea and a buffet breakfast on Fridays
- Free English / Spanish lessons
- Weekly tech talks
- Regular events (our famous bbq)
- Yoga every week
- Competitive salary based on education, experience and knowledge.
Secret Source is an equal opportunities employer
PLEASE NOTE: This position is 100% remote during the current crisis however in the future we will require occasional visits to our office in Las Palmas.
The ideal candidate must:
Be able to develop high-quality web application software
Have a passion for writing clean, maintainable code
Enjoy working collaboratively, learning from and teaching the other members of your team
Communicate well in English (our team is from Spain, Hungary, and the UK)
Not required but desirable:
Prior experience developing in an Agile team environment
Comfortable with common Ruby tools (Rake, etc.) and support tools (Jira, Git)
Experience writing unit tests
Understanding of object oriented analysis and design (you may be a fan of Sandi Metz)
Knowledge of test automation, e.g. using MiniTest, Capybara or similar